So the boys asked the other night for hot cocoa. I don’t ever purchase premade mix because most (if not all) contain nonfat dry milk, so it’s a no-go for us. They started out asking, then it turned to begging and then it quickly turned to pleading.
I decided to appease them with…”well, let me see what ingredients I have in the pantry and maybe I can make up a mix for you.” I found a recipe that uses “vanilla sugar” and cocoa with some salt…easy enough and worth a try. I happened to have some vanilla beans that I ordered a while back from Amazon that I needed to use up…and this is the perfect solution. Also, I used a “higher quality” baking cocoa and I think that helped with the flavor too. (I’m not sure I’d make this with a store brand or cheap baking cocoa.)
This turned out to be so delicious…everyone is loving it!
Dairy Free Hot Cocoa Mix
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-2 vanilla beans, seeds scraped out
- 1 cup high quality cocoa
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
1. Blend together the sugar and vanilla beans.
2. Add the cocoa and sea salt and blend together.
3. Store in an airtight container.
4. To mix, add 2-3 heaping teaspoons to 8-10 oz. hot rice, almond or soy milk.
Adapted from Go Dairy Free.